Friday, February 22, 2013

" This is go grossly far from democracy"

Not only did my modem go kaput, I also had to really take some time to reflect on my experience at the Legislative Building on Wednesday 2/20/2013.

My roommate and I really discussed what occurred all the way from Raleigh to home, and I also later text someone that I met at the gathering to discuss how this made me feel. She wished to remain unnamed so her name is going to be Moonsauce.

Wednesday 2/20/2013 1330

I waited outside peaking in to see what was going on. As it turns out I got there just in time to watch the testimonies and the pleading from individuals for consideration.

When the door opened, a sheriff went into the room to control the crowd. I fought my way inside and could already feel it without knowing a single thing. I saw glum faces of supporters, tears of patients, and felt negativity looming in the air. As I fought my way through the crowd, I could hear multiple representatives taunting us supporters. We were called "Tits and Tokers" amongst people laughing and maliciously grinning. I don't even know why I asked VP of NORML what happened, I already knew. I felt like crying. It honestly felt like I was in an episode of the Twilight Zone for a minute. No kidding, the moments were so intense it felt like everything was in slow motion. The WRAL camera swayed from side to side filming voices of protest, people broken down in tears, people with the faces in their hands. That feeling I felt looking around this scene is one I will not soon forget. Once everything spend back, I walked around did the only thing I knew to do, hug people and remind them that this is far from over.

My eyes/ ears on the outside reported that it was a mixed debate between the committee members that were in the room. A man joking about security coming saying with laughter: " What happened did she spark up her joint?" People calling us names, and one representative saying" " Why don't they stop worrying about pot and go home and take their medicine?" ( This is our medicine you moron! ugh I wish I knew who that was, pity I can't be in two places at once.) Groups of people laughing and talking not realizing what they had done. Depriving patients of their medicine, their humility, and freedom. Allowing drug dealers to continue to earn tax free money and mark up the price 3 and 4 times. They didn't realize, they tried to take away our peace.

However the support inside the committee was heard, two gentleman stood and discussed the differences in Marijuana and Oxycontin. My source heard him say; "you put the two beside each other" and Marijuana is the obvious choice from the lack of side effects. Facts about that below:

http://www.inquisitr.com/535210/pain-meds-cause-most-overdoses-cdc-study/


My Text Convo with Moonsauce 2/20/2013 2120 :

ME: Hi Moonsauce, this is (me) we met today at the Legislative building
Moonsauce:Hi just typing on your FB page (nc norml) and in nccpn chat
Moonsauce: So deflated. Ugh!
ME: You know that's kind of why I text you, I sat down to write my blog and for the first time in longer than I can remember I'm having a hard time the awful feelings I had (today), I am dumbfounded.
Moonsauce: Its such a slap in the face. Have you heard the reasons for the speedy hearing??
ME: Well I read one of the reps said we "harassed" them with phone calls and they wanted to throw it out and move on (This was Rep. Paul "Skip" Stam, R-Wake)

Here is the article: http://www.wral.com/house-committee-kills-medical-marijuana-bill/12131140/

Moonsauce: Yeah, I'm livid hearing that the VOTERS calling/writing voicing support is harassment (only because they oppose it)

This can be read herehttp://gawker.com/5986181/nc-house-committee-votes-to-reject-medical-marijuana-bill-because-too-many-constituents-wanted-it-to-pass

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/22/north-carolina-medical-marijuana_n_2741662.html

http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle

ME: I am beyond pissed trust me I got a heavy editorial planned for this....for the first time in forever, I am doubting my words. Like I can't paint the picture of how hurt and angry everyone was.
Moonsauce: I admire bloggers for being so good with words. Take the night to rest your brain. (I definitely took her advice) I am happy to help in any way. I was a crying mess, lol
ME:That's why I felt I needed to hug you lol yeah....
Moonsauce:I needed it. More than you know. I sometimes feel very alone here, knowing only one family, lol. I had a hopefully heart that it would pass and I'd get a small bit of my life back and get out and meet people finally. Then they stomped on my dreams of a better quality of life. Pretty douchetastic (MY NEW FAVORITE WORD!!!!! )
ME: I may write our text exchange in my blog lol its helping, I have Crohn's Disease and Fibromyalgia with restless leg, its my only escape
Moonsauce: I have Inter coastal Neuralgia, Fibromyalgia, (restless body-doc actually said lots of fibro patients describe it like that, I'm not the only one crazy!) Chronic headaches,chronic fatigue, insomnia, tmj(Temporomandibular Disorders) http://tmj.org/site/content/tmjd-basics


All of Moonsauce's troubles can be helped with marijuana, the research is here:
http://www.salem-news.com/articles/november292007/leveque_fybromyalgia_112807.php
https://www.marijuanadoctors.com/content/ailments/view/64?ailment=temporomandibular-joint-disorder-tmj-
http://www.cannabismd.net/migraine-headaches/
http://www.cannabismd.net/insomnia/
http://medicalmarijuana.com/medical-marijuana-treatments/CFS

The conversations continues with Moonsauce and I talking about car pooling next time we go to Raleigh, American Idol, and asking me not to use her name in the blog. I understand too. With the stigma marijuana has, she wouldn't want to put her family in harm's way.

Before publishing today (2/22) I spoke with The North Carolina Cannabis Patients Network President,  Perry Parks, CSP CW 4, US Army Retired
www.theperryparks.com www.thegoodsoldier.com www.nccpn.org

His perspective of the day's events easily matched mine. When the floor opened up, he felt the decision had been prearranged due to the obvious neglect of the committee. He informed me that he learned that this guy: http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/members/viewMember.pl?sChamber=House&nUserID=309 Representative Paul Stam (Rep) instructed the committee prior to the meeting to vote against it. "This so grossly far from democracy" he said in response. He also shared a story Stam being asked to meet with an 80 year old disabled veteran, to show him how much the medical cannabis was helping. Stam only said that he did not want to be bothered with it. How is this part of politics? How is this being a voice that people deserve?

He spoke with me in length and gave me more information than I knew what to do with. He told me that there were three speakers including himself. The Veterans Affairs (VA) spoke at length about how the laws are not protecting veterans who intake cannabis for therapeutic reasons, The National Cancer Society spoke about the anti-tremor qualities. Articles for those are here:
http://veteransformedicalmarijuana.org/content/general-use-cannabis-ptsd-symptoms
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/221024.php
 
I enjoyed my short phone call with Parks and hope I get to speak with him again soon. I will also being doing research on some of the persons of interest we spoke about.

I hope this painted enough of a picture of the things I saw and the way I felt that horrible in Raleigh. The only thing I gained was a fuel to speak out more and amp up my advocacy in any way possible.

If those committee members thought they could get rid of us that easily, they were sorely mistaken. There is nothing they can say that will hurt us, no matter how degrading it may be. We will continue to "harass" them until we get a "Yes" from each and every one of them. How is the voice from the voters who elected you harassment? Was it harassment that we had to listen to your campaign ads for months and months? I would think so, it was lies politicians fabricated to get there way. To gain your trust and then betray it. Without the "harassing constituents" you would not be in the position you are in. The position with the responsibility to listen to the opposition and make an informed decision about each and every issue that effects its people. You may have a victory in this battle, but the war is far from over.

Myself, Moonsauce, Kathryn Lyle ( 17 year survivor of brain tumor with Cannabis treatments), and myself will continue to push for reform along with thousands upon thousands of supporters that reach to all corners of the earth. Marijuana will be legal on every aspect of the word one day, we will not be stopped, we will not be silenced. We will educate generation after generation about marijuana until we are free to have our medicine the way we should.

I hope everyone caught my article in the Burlington Times News
http://www.thetimesnews.com/opinion/guest-columns/medical-marijuana-is-critical-to-our-state-1.98584

Trust me there will be more to follow in other newspapers......


No comments:

Post a Comment