Thursday, February 14, 2013

He created it and it was good

Hello Folks!

Here I am yet another support of medicinal marijuana. I hope through this blog that readers will come to understand why this is an issue passionate to me. I would adore more than anything to be a professional advocate or spokesperson for this issue in any state that would care to listen to someone with a relatable story. I am going to copy and paste the first of many editorials that I will be sending to various publications. I am dedicating this blog to tracking what I do each day up until voting in North Carolina. Ok let me slow down.........

Sorry I get excited!

As of Feb of 2013, Representive of Mecklenburg County Kelly Alexander (D) introduced House Bill 84: North Carolina Medical Cannabis Act for the reform of marijuana prohibition.

Read this it will tell you everything:

http://www.thedailychronic.net/2013/15457/medical-marijuana-bill-introduced-in-north-carolina/

So here I am doing my part as a supporter starting a blog, calling law makers, etc... I am hoping this blog to be a guide for others to know what to do.

So far I have called several representatives showing support, been in contact important figures in the organization NORML: http://norml.org/, and dedicated my social media to this cause until the law is passed.

I hope at this point all you will take the time to read this editorial in its entirety, I have to cut it for most newspapers due to the length. Please enjoy my first of many:

Stacey Jefferson
            Feb. 13th 2013
            Dialogue in reference to House Bill 84: Legalization of the Medicinal use of Marijuana

            Have we erased a crop out of our reach that could save us from a dying economy? Hemp, Cannabis whatever one wish to refer to it as, most everyone has there own opinion formed from this or that politician or average Joe. The question remains for me, why many years ago our law regulators allowed such a tragedy in the form of Marijuana Prohibition. It may sound like I am speaking about a plant in an extreme manner, you would be right. My passion for the awareness of this plant will be presented thoroughly in this editorial. My hope is that my words will sway opinions of nay sayers even for a glimpse of open mind-ness to allow others the chance for relief in many areas that cannabis crop can provide. Our political differences will be set aside only to hear the voices of those wishing for alternative medicines to provide the relief that modern medicines can not provide. This discusses in detail way the product will improve the dynamic of our economic life with the passing of House Bill 84 for the state of North Carolina.
            Many of us have had the unfortunate task of caring for a sick or disabled relative in their desperate time of need. During this time we all ask the patient the same question; “What can I do to make you feel better?” Most of the time they will tell us the same thing; “I don’t know what else you can do. “ The familiarity of this is all too close to home for myself. My mother, Cindy Jefferson was this person I refer to. A vibrant caring individual ravaged by a merciless pain disease referred to as; Dystonia Tortecollis. Most commonly related to Parkinson’s or Huntington’s disease this crippled my mother’s body over a period of nearly three years that lay a tremendous burden on our family, as she required 24 hour care. She was unable to attend to her own personal and feeding needs, due to the effects this disease had on her body. Her beautiful smile vanished, she was bed ridden, and she stayed in a horrible haze from the pain medication prescribed by her team of doctors. She cried often, suffered severely intensified effects of bi polar disorder that were brought on by this disease. During the period before my Father took matters into his own hands, I was living out of state and heard nothing but remorseful reports. The pictures on Facebook my father posted trying to keep everything as normal as possible were always saddening watching her crumble. She dropped to weight of 84 pounds; she looked like a skin skeleton. The constant moving made her loose weight at an unhealthy rate. Greif clouded my thoughts all the time of my family stricken with this pain that ran rampant through the family in the form of physical and mental.
            Final a day of good news came in the form of a phone call from home, it was my father. My mother’s sister had suggested giving her marijuana to increase her appetite or maybe justing to see her smile. I answered the phone to a chorus of laughter coming from the other end. It was an amazing moment; it had been so long since that sound had come through my receiver. The report came that mother was smiling, she was eating, and she said that her pain had subsided. Her appetite increased that same night and she had a multitude of request which my Dad gladly retrieved for her. When I returned home to help out with the running the home during my mother’s sickness, everyday with mother was remarkable to watch the different varieties of marijuana improve one symptom or another, provide relief, and best of all, provide laughter for my mother’s soul. I have such joyous memories of her final days because of the happiness she received from our family prescribed cannabis treatment as I explained to those close to me. Our joy regrettably can not be shared as openly as we please due to its current restrictions. The majority of the medical professionals that were responsible for her treatment recognized her use of marijuana as not harmful, and acknowledged it with positive feedback staying within their legal boundaries to speak on the issue.  We only faced one negative critic from an important medical figure in her treatment plan. He was the professional responsible for the regulation of her pain medication and required she take a drug test during one of her routine visits. When she came back positive for THC, the physician informed us he would no longer continue her on the medication oxycodone if she tested positive for THC again. This infuriated the rest of the medical team as well as me, unapologetically I did not comply with his request, and we found other means of service for her that aspect of her treatment. I have a particular memory of giving her a dose of her marijuana one evening. Dad was struggling with the decision to comply with physician a short time before she passed.  We did our usual routine of her scooting through the house with her walker. Myself in her curt tail walking very slowly behind her to her designated smoking area.  On the way out, she began to cry out of nowhere saying that she missed her family, she wanted her Dad. It’s a wistful scene to anyone watching this feeble disabled woman cry for such a reason. Within minutes of the marijuana intake, she had begun to laugh and cause everyone else to laugh with her. She had taken a hunger fancy to an entire bag of Peanut Butter Cup candy as well as an ice cream creation of Apple Pie, Peach Ice Cream, topped with Kiwi. (Sounds gross, but don’t knock it until you try it.) The appetite enhancing properties of marijuana were clearly personal observed during the period of months I assisted in her care.
            My mother was peaceful passed away in December of 2010, on the 18th my father’s birthday. She appeared to be peaceful sleeping, just as she had voiced in her final wishes. We grieved heavily at the loss of such a wonderful woman; my father was inconsolable for a vast period of time.
            Today, I am the voice for every daughter, son, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew that has witnessed the healing properties this wonderful plant can provide.  We are given a mind by our creator to interpret the things we see with thoughts that are our own. Even the Bible I call reference to in my times that deal in matters of faithful interpretation, I read passages that clearly lead me to believe that marijuana is one of my God’s yielding herbs that He declared was good. I could be convinced no other way after living the tragedy of my mother’s illness.
             Even more so, I feel it an insult to her memory not to be a voice for everyone in favor of this declaration. I am declaring medicinal use is absolutely necessary in a world plagued with chronic diseases to give those affected a chance for alternative treatments.
           
            Relatable experiences are vital to animating a positive opinion on any issue that faces citizens of any democratic government system. It seems that even though the literature and statistics provided from various studies and observations have not been enough to sway law makers into re examining the issues of marijuana prohibition. I speak out now so that my voice can be a strong one to all my fellow North Carolinians can hear messages of praise to marijuana. Even if personal opinion is not to partake, people can listen to the opinions of those who support it. We can display an image of this plant that can be a vital element to the sick and a source of employment for the new opportunities it will create.  I implore all minds that hold any doubt, to reach out and research the opposition to gain a true and unbiased opinion to grant a right of consumption to those who wish. We aspire to for the sick and disabled to no longer feel that fall into a category of being a criminal for using something given to us by nature to provide relief. For marijuana to be regulated in a manner that is conducive to any other health and safety regulation for any product available for consumer consumption. This can be intertwined with medical ethics laws such as HIPPA protecting the privacy of those partaking and to not be associated with the negative stigma that comes with illegal acts of any kind. Give us a peace of mind that in the privacy of our own homes, the choice is ours to make. We will still continue to educate each generation the importance of maturity in the matters of this issue and any issue that stabilizes our society. We ask for acceptance of medicinal marijuana into our everyday society on our state and federal level each day, to no avail.
            If studies for its medicinal use are not enough then examine this angle. North Carolina was the last to pass a lottery. We were the last state on the east coast to in act yet another chance for revenue in the form of the lottery. This is our chance to be the first on the east coast to pass the cash crop to drawn in revenue without raising taxes. Our neighbors to the north, Virginia have had a lottery in place since 1987. In 2012, the Lottery's profits totaled $487 million, which accounted for approximately 8 percent of school funding in Virginia. These numbers from 1987 to 2012 have increased each year translating to billions in earnings for the state.  North Carolina could be the first on the east coast to recognize that this is a cash crop to gain income for the state without raising taxes. Statics in Colorado have showed the state collecting 8.2 Million in application fees alone. It would be amazing to see North Carolina receive a piece of that to put into things like putting our teachers back to work or building research facilities for universities. North Carolinians should be focused on this issue to see the positive trickle down effect that will come along with the passing of this bill. We should be the first to say yes, and show the rest of the east coast what can be accomplished with cannabis financially and through our health system. The passing of House Bill 84 is crucial to our survival in this state and I hope when voting comes that enough support has been shown to claim a victory on its voting date.


No comments:

Post a Comment